Sara Sakowitz is the Founder and CEO of Bite, a snack food company that is tackling the healthy eating crisis by presenting a modern (and tasty) take on healthy snacks. Previously, she was the Founder and CEO of Blue Moon Box, a science education company. Sara graduated from Columbia University in 2018; on campus, she was the President of the Columbia Organization of Rising Entrepreneurs (CORE), one of the university's largest undergraduate student societies. As CORE's first-ever female President in its 20-year history, Sara worked to champion entrepreneurship at Columbia and both create and expand opportunities and resources for young entrepreneurs on campus.
Sara was named to Crains NY Business' 20 Under 20, the NYC Economic Development Corporation's 10 Under 20, and the Her Campus 22 Under 22. In 2016, she became the youngest-ever winner of Columbia University's Venture Competition; in 2018, she became the Competition's first-ever two-time winner. In addition to press features from the Huffington Post, Metro News, and others, Sara was featured on Good Morning America with Blue Moon Box, where she successfully pitched her enterprise to Shark Tank's Kevin O'Leary. As an undergrad, she was an Investment Partner at Dorm Room Fund, backed by First Round Capital.
At Columbia, Sara studied consumer psychology with a pre-medical concentration. She focused primarily on the science of choice and decision making and extended her interest in the field as both a teaching assistant and research assistant. Passionate about literature and languages, Sara also completed a second major in German Literature. She graduated with department honors and recognition on the Dean's List.
Sara entered her first cancer research laboratory when she was 16, and has actively pursued research in cancer biology and cancer genetics ever since. She was a 2014 National Finalist in the Intel Science Talent Search, won the First Prize Grand Award in the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair, and won the National Made with Code Prize from Google and Ellen Degeneres.
In her spare time, Sara loves learning languages and speaks German, French, Italian, and Spanish.
- From Science Kits to Salted Nuts, Sara Sakowitz Minds Her Business, Columbia News
- The Spirit of Innovation, Columbia College
- Sara Sakowitz CC’18 selected for the Crain’s New York Business “20 Under 20” list, Columbia College
- Most Inspiring College Women: 22 Under 22, Her Campus
- Shark Tank Your Life, Good Morning America
- Blue Moon Box is changing the way kids think about science, Metro News
- Crains 20 Under 20, Crains NY Business
- The 26 Students Powering Entrepreneurship, Dorm Room Fund
- Minute to Win It, Columbia University SEAS Fast Pitch Competition
- 10 Under 20, NYC Economic Development Corporation and Consumer Electronics Week
- This Budding Scientist-Entrepreneur Puts The Girls-In-STEM Problem In New Perspective, Huffington Post
- Meet 10 Budding Tech Stars who aren't even 20 years old, Fortune
- National Winner of Made With Code Prize, Google and Ellen Degeneres
- National Finalist, Intel Science Talent Search
- Top 24 High School Graduates of 2014 by Business Insider.
- "I'm an Engineer, not a Cheerleader," Washington Post editorial
- TED talent search TED@NYC, 2014 international talent search